Re: Request for packaging - Nuitka the Python Compiler

Am 13.10.2011 09:24, schrieb Paul Wise:
On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 09:18 +0200, Nicolas Chauvat wrote:

If and only if you were to consider replacing SCons, take a look at
waf that has many qualities. http://code.google.com/p/waf/

Please do not look at waf, it is worse than scons, which is why it was
removed from Debian.

At PyCON DE, some people also recommended a look at "waf". I don't know it at all.

I understand it can be frustrating to work with these upstreams. I don't know much about these tools. Nuitka uses Scons and that is all of my use of both tools. I years ago failed once to integrated DEC Ada compiler into Scons.

I found thought that Scons for Nuitka gets the work done pretty well. It has a strange dependency on non-ctypes for Windows, which is why I have a patched inline copy that I on that platform to make it use ctypes instead.

I expect a Debian package to simply remove that copy. I will add it to a "for packagers" documentation section that this ought to be done.

My need in Nuitka is to not me manage building, compilers, flags, etc. myself, and while at it, to be standard enough, to make it easy for guys, to change things.

But generally, the Scons file needs no changes from the user. I do not make people use Scons notice. I call it with a build file that has parameters and it finds things on its own.

I expect that if I get the correct hints, that because of the small amount of dependencies (scons, lxml enables XML dumps of internal tree), it ought be easy to package. Have a look at my "finding my files" problem.

I don't understand pkg-resources documentation well enough, to detect where it has the solution I am seeking. I want the same source to run from extracted .tar.gz and to run from installed system.

Yours,
Kay