Re: Request for packaging - Nuitka the Python Compiler

Hello Yaroslav,

Since everyone seems to be busy and since you are an experienced Debian
user -- would you consider trying to package it yourself?  it is really
not a rocket science

I must admit, I am a bit scared at that perspective. Creating the compiler itself is a huge task. Adding to that worries me. If nobody wants to package it now, I will just wait until somebody wants to.

The easier road for me might be to make Nuitka attractive enough then.

Currently I am just trying to be a good upstream. I have that stable branch in master, with no less than 5 hotfixes. Every bug I encounter gets fixes on a hotfix branch that is automatically pushed to as well as to development branch.

http://www.nuitka.net/gitweb/?p=Nuitka.git;a=summary

That's quicker and better than many other projects, who make bug fix releases only as an afterthought, of continued development. I will sustain that. And I didn't consider packaging practical without that.

You see, new Nuitka releases are not supposed to add major new features now, only increased acceleration. Support for Python3 probably being the exception there should be. But normally there won't be features people want, except for even more speed.

But correctness is something I take absolutely serious. If Nuitka is not correct or not compatible, that will make it remain unused. That's why I went 100% there, before I start to make Nuitka seriously fast.

and file an ITP (or at least RFP if not planing to work on packaging)
for it.

Will file an RFP then.

1 tiny comment: Nuitka.py script better looses its suffix (.py) if you
are planing to have it installed under /usr/bin (and I would even
suggest to make it all lower-cased -- nuitka -- although not strictly
enforced but advised: imagine if all the tools g++, Python, cython, LDD,
Make had inconsistent casing)

That's the kind of things I am looking for.

And another thing that worries me. In the Scons file, I have things like this to find the C++ sources to compile:

nuitka_src = os.environ.get( "NUITKA_CPP", "./src/")
nuitka_include = os.environ[ "NUITKA_INCLUDE" ]

or to start Scons from Nuitka with the general scons file:

        "scons_file" : os.environ[ "NUITKA_SCONS" ] + "/SingleExe.scons",

The main reason I want to see it packaged now, is to learn about things that make Nuitka potentially a bad upstream. There is probably more, and I would appreciate it.

Anyone who would give it a critical review would do me and the project already a huge favor that will only reward later on.

Yours,
Kay