Re: list of package for python_support -> dh_python2 ?

On Jun 21, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:

>I can upload new python-support this weekend with one minor bug fixed
>(the one fixed in svn) and a deprecation warning (with a link to
>http://wiki.debian.org/Python/PythonSupportToDHPython2 and a note that
>it's not a bad idea to wait with a conversion until python2.7 will be
>the only supported Python version in Debian).

Note that Ubuntu is going to remove python-support and python-central from its
CDs in 11.04.  Officially deprecating python-support (as I believe you are
doing right here :) helps us recruit Ubuntu developers to help with this.  We
are going to be conducting an on-line sprint/jam this Thursday, and hopefully
we'll get folks to contribute some patches.  We'll make sure those patches are
forwarded to Debian.

>The next step would be to file deprecation bugs, but I'd wait with that
>till 2.6 removal from python-all's Depends.

Can you explain why?

>I can also disable moving .py files to /usr/shre/pyshared in dh_python2
>if there's only one supported Python version (I cannot do that now as we
>still want dpkg to detect file conflicts with python-support based
>packages)

That does seem useful.  I suppose I can see why you'd want to wait on a mass
conversion of pysupport->dhpy2 for this.  But you'd also have to deal with
this transition anyway for all the packages that already use pysupport, right?

-Barry