Re: list of package for python_support -> dh_python2 ?

[Stefano Zacchiroli, 2011-06-21]
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 10:09:01AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > I have already expressed my disagreement with some of the design choices
> > in dh_python2, but it does a decent job, and obviously it is much better
> > to have only one decent tool instead of two.
>
> Thanks a lot for this follow-up Joss.
>
> Now, as a mere outsider, it seems to me that the potential objections
> against deprecating python-support, which have been mentioned earlier on
> in this thread, are now moot. If Piotr agrees that python-support should
> be deprecated, it can just happen.
>
> Piotr: can you please consider that?

I can upload new python-support this weekend with one minor bug fixed
(the one fixed in svn) and a deprecation warning (with a link to
http://wiki.debian.org/Python/PythonSupportToDHPython2 and a note that
it's not a bad idea to wait with a conversion until python2.7 will be
the only supported Python version in Debian).

The next step would be to file deprecation bugs, but I'd wait with that
till 2.6 removal from python-all's Depends.

I can also disable moving .py files to /usr/shre/pyshared in dh_python2
if there's only one supported Python version (I cannot do that now as we
still want dpkg to detect file conflicts with python-support based
packages)