Re: [Python-modules-team] Dependencies for python2.6-only packages (best practice)

On Jan 20, 2011, at 08:55 PM, Michael Fladischer wrote:

>Barry Warsaw, 2011-01-20 20:26:
>> On Jan 20, 2011, at 07:22 PM, Sandro Tosi wrote:
>>> Would it make sense to rename upstream module to importlib3 (to recall
>>> the fact it's a backport from py3k) and so it would importable also in
>>> 2.7 along with the stdlib 'importlib' module?
>>
>> I think it would make sense, yes.  Any Python 2 code that uses importlib being
>> ported to Python 3 would have to be modified, but I'd bet that'll affect oh,
>> roughly zero existing code bases right now, and it probably would have to do
>> so anyway. :)
>
>So we would have importlib in python-importlib and python2.7 and
>importlib3 in python3.x?

Okay, sorry, let me clarify since I probably misunderstood the original
question.

I just chatted with Brett Cannon.  There is no backport of Python3's importlib
for Python 2, though he says it wouldn't be difficult to do.  Such a thing
would have to be called importlib3 so as not to conflict with Python 2.7's
minimal package.

A backport of the Cheeseshop package importlib[1], which provides Python 2.7's
minimal package, and is compatible back to Python 2.3, should be called
'importlib' since it's identical to what's in Python 2.7.

Hope that helps,
-Barry

[1] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/importlib/1.0.2