Re: [Python-modules-team] Dependencies for python2.6-only packages (best practice)

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 17:58, Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org> wrote:
> On Jan 20, 2011, at 05:20 PM, Éric Araujo wrote:
>
>>This is not relevant to the question about the toolchain that you were
>>asking, but I’d like to point out that importlib in 2.7 is only a subset
>>of the version in 3.1 (precisely, importlib.import_module only), so
>>packaging a full backport of importlib makes sense for 2.7 too.
>
> Isn't that problematic though?  'import importlib' will give you something
> different depending on whether the backported package is installed or not.
> That doesn't seem good. ;)

Attention: stupid question coming.

Would it make sense to rename upstream module to importlib3 (to recall
the fact it's a backport from py3k) and so it would importable also in
2.7 along with the stdlib 'importlib' module?