Re: Build-Depends-Indep dependencies

On 10/26/2010 06:04 PM, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Bernd Zeimetz <bzed@debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> I don't mind that beginners in packaging have write access to our repositories,
>> assuming that they're willing to learn the necessary details during their work
>> within the team. But as you're neither willing to learn how packaging software
>> for Debian works, nor you seem to know the necessary basics like makefiles, I've
>> removed your write access to the Python teams' repositories.
>
> You seem to read it the way you wanted. If I wasn't willing to learn
> how packaging software works, I've didn't read much about it already
> and asked some really dumb stuff. Even though I've apologized for the
> lame question, the thing I asked was quite complicated concept nobody
> was able to explain so far, and I still expect some on-topic ideas
> from this discussion.
>
> If you are fighting for justice then make an exam to test the
> knowledge of Build-Depends-Indep and revoke access for everybody who
> don't understand this. I am willing to elaborate on questionnaire
> form. =)
>
> I know basics about Makefiles - I know that target is and what 4-space
> indents from PEP-8 are unwelcome there. But Debian Policy tells that
> debian/rules should contain build-indep target for
> Build-Depends-Indep, and there is no such rule in trac-bitten.

I don't want to fight for anything, but I want to ensure that the packages in
the teams stay in a proper shape. And I don't mind adding you again very soon
when I'm sure that you know what you're doing.

Actually there is a binary-indep rule in debian/rules, although it is well
hidden as it uses cdbs to build the package. cdbs is probably the worst thing
ever to learn packaging with... but if you follow the included files

include /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/debhelper.mk
include /usr/share/cdbs/1/class/python-distutils.mk

you'll see that everything is there.

>> Of course you are still welcome to update packages, please send the according
>> patches to me and I'll apply them.
>
> Ok. Can you upload edited trac-bitten package for previous version
> right now, before I send you patch for newer version?

I could upload it to experimental.
As Testing is frozen I'm not going to upload stuff to unstable as it would block
pushing updates to the package via unstable into testing.
But the current changes do not really warrant an upload, they're nice but don't
change anything on the resulting package. So the best would be if you'd prepare
the upload of the new version directly.

Cheers,

Bernd