Re: Build-Depends-Indep dependencies

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 10:16, anatoly techtonik <techtonik@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org> wrote:
>>> Sorry for the lame question, but I couldn't find an explanation of
>>> difference between Build-Depends and Build-Depends-Indep in Debian
>>> manuals. Can anybody explain when Build-Depends-Indep is required?
>>
>> look it up on Debian Policy - and questions like this should be sent
>> to debian-mentors: there's nothing python specify here.
>
> I expected smb. to tell me that Python applications doesn't need
> Build-Depends-Indep, because <insert something here>...

and I expected you to use google, find what b-d and b-d-i are, try to
understand what's their use-case and in case of doubt ask here (if
it's a strictly python question) or on debian-mentors (if it's a
general questions) - unmatched expectation it seems.

Ah, you can also look at what other packages does - it's a very good
way to learn "how to package".

> Now I ought to educate myself about autotools, makefiles and all that
> low level stuff that I don't really care about when writing in Python.
> There are good chances that I won't do this, and as a result won't be
> able to help you in maintaining.

ahah nice try - f.e. why would you need to "educate" yourself about
autotools? it's a non sequitur from b-d vs b-d-i question: care to
explain?

Regards,