question about packaging a python-based software that ships a shared object library file

Greetings,

this is my first message to this list. Thanks in advance for your
patience, as I'm no python connoisseur :)

I am currently packaging a software (mmass) that's developed in
python. Until recently, that packaging work was rather easy, as the
software did only contain python modules (.py files). But the last
version I am packaging now contains *one* file of C code that gets
built into a shared object extension ('calculations.so') using the gcc
-fPIC flag, which is typically used for dynamic linking libraries, I
think.

My question : should I package the software into two binary packages :

mmass
Architecture: all

mmass-module (or mmass-extension)
Architecture: any

This latter pacakge would ship 1 single file : calculations.so.

Can I simply ship that private calculations.so file in /usr/lib/mmas
and get away with it, as it is a private extension ? Or have I to ship
it like a formal shared library for general use, with a
mmas-module-dev package and all the intricacies related to packaging
shared libs ?

I tried to find answers to my questions by perusing the Debian Python
Policy, but that I feel like this document is too general for my
needs. Is there a location where I can learn some more ? What are the
guidelines in the case I described ?

Thanks for reading !

Best regards,
                 Filippo

--
Filippo Rusconi, PhD - CNRS - public key C78F687C
Author of ``massXpert''     at http://www.massxpert.org