Re: Wheezy plans

On Fr, 2010-10-22 at 14:18 -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Oct 22, 2010, at 07:52 PM, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
>
> >Tell that the Arch people:
> >    http://www.archlinux.org/news/python-is-now-python-3/
> >
> >Yep, they switched /usr/bin/python to Python 3.X
>
> I heard that Gentoo has done it too, but I have not verified that.
Gentoo uses Python 2 by default as far as I can tell. Wasn't the
upstream plan to use /usr/bin/python3 as the executable name in order to
not break (almost) every Python script out there? If I understand it[1]
correctly, the conclusion at PyCon 2009 was:

    /usr/bin/python => Python 2.X
    /usr/bin/python3 => Python 3.X (and maybe later)

And that's what Debian, Ubuntu, openSUSE and Fedora do; and thus likely
what SLED and RHEL will do.

[1] http://www.tummy.com/journals/entries/jafo_20090405_125203
--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.