Re: Python 2.7 status on Ubuntu Maverick

* Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org>, 2010-07-28, 11:54:
libvigraimpex, pygtk, qscintilla2 failed to build because their
build-dependencies didn't provide modules for Python 2.7.

I'm not sure I understand what this means, or what if anything we can do about it. Does this mean that some of the packages that these three build-dep on also need to be built for Python 2.7?

Yes. (But read further.)

The qscintilla2 failure is mysterious to me, so any light you could shed on that would be appreciated! I'll look at this in more detail too.

AFAIUI, qscintilla2 was built against python-sip-dev from Maverick, which of course doesn't ship 2.7 extension modules yet. However, looking at sip4-qt3 build log, even the PPA version provides only modules for 2.6, which looks like a bug in sip4-qt3.

I can reproduce FTBFSes of pyao, pygobject, vte by rebuilding Ubuntu
packages in sid environment; therefore these failures are not
python2.7-specific. Also, sid versions of these packages can be built
just fine (in sid).

Does that mean the problem is related to the Ubuntu packaging of these
packages?

Most likely, yes.

I looked at the pyao failure and it sure is weird.

Google says: http://bugs.debian.org/577345

--
Jakub Wilk