Re: Python 2.7 status on Ubuntu Maverick

Hi Jakub,

Thanks very much for looking at these.  I have some dumb questions. :)

On Jul 26, 2010, at 10:54 PM, Jakub Wilk wrote:

>* Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org>, 2010-07-26, 15:38:
>>    https://launchpad.net/~pythoneers/+archive/py27stack4/+packages
>>
>>As you can see there are a few build failures here, but at least one of them
>>is bogus I think[1].  I'm still evaluating the others and would appreciate any
>>additional input or feedback you might be able to provide.
>
>gnome-python-desktop, kdebindings, and twisted-* are depwaits; obviously
>nothing to do with Python 2.7.

Okay, I see this.  Nothing we can do about it now.

>libvigraimpex, pygtk, qscintilla2 failed to build because their
>build-dependencies didn't provide modules for Python 2.7.

I'm not sure I understand what this means, or what if anything we can do about
it.  Does this mean that some of the packages that these three build-dep on
also need to be built for Python 2.7?  If so, then how would I go about
finding out which ones and adding them to the PPA?

One thing I notice is that libvigraimpex and pygtk, but not qscintilla2
build-dep on python-numpy, which as you say below is fixed in numpy 1.4.1
(modulo the "funny" issues ;).  I don't know if that's related to the failures
here, but I guess we should try to get python-numpy 1.4.1 into the stack
(which would fix its ftbfs too).

The qscintilla2 failure is mysterious to me, so any light you could shed on
that would be appreciated!  I'll look at this in more detail too.

>I can reproduce FTBFSes of pyao, pygobject, vte by rebuilding Ubuntu
>packages in sid environment; therefore these failures are not
>python2.7-specific. Also, sid versions of these packages can be built
>just fine (in sid).

Does that mean the problem is related to the Ubuntu packaging of these
packages?

pyao: 0.82-2.1ubuntu4 vs 0.82-3
pygobject: 2.21.4-0ubuntu3 vs 2.21.4-1
vte: 1:0.24.3-1ubuntu2 vs 1:0.24.3-1

I looked at the pyao failure and it sure is weird.  It's a compilation failure
that I can reproduce in my mav sbuild too.  I'll look at these in more detail.

>Failure of python-numpy is related to Python 2.7. This bug seems to be
>fixed in Numpy 1.4.1, so again Debian is not affected. (We have funnier
>issues with Numpy instead. ;>)

Looks like 1:1.4.1-4 is in unstable so i guess we should request a sync to get
that fix?

A few other things that Scott, Doko, and I discussed in IRC:

* I will setup a PPA and request syncs for universe packages that build-dep on
  python-all*
* Doko might want to enable py2.7 in experimental to get the benefit of
  testing in Debian
* We will make a final decision for Maverick by feature freeze (12-aug)

Thanks everyone.
-Barry