Python 2.7 status on Ubuntu Maverick

Having just returned from a platform rally in Prague, I thought I would update
folks on the progress of enabling Python 2.7 as a supported -- but not default
-- Python in Ubuntu Maverick (what will be 10.10).  I'd also like to take this
opportunity to solicit help in getting us to the point where we can make the
decision to enable or not enable.

Doko has built a toolchain PPA which provides Python 2.7 among other things:

    https://edge.launchpad.net/~doko/+archive/toolchain/+packages

There are currently a few build failures here but Python 2.7 isn't one of
them.  I think (but for various reasons atm can't check) that this is
essentially the Python 2.7 package from Debian experimental.

On top of that, I have a PPA with just python-support, python-central, and
python-defaults which add Python 2.7 as a supported version:

    https://launchpad.net/~pythoneers/+archive/toolchain2.7

Finally, I have a PPA that includes all the other packages which build-dep on
python-all and python-all-dev:

    https://launchpad.net/~pythoneers/+archive/py27stack4/+packages

As you can see there are a few build failures here, but at least one of them
is bogus I think[1].  I'm still evaluating the others and would appreciate any
additional input or feedback you might be able to provide.

Of course, this only helps with extension module packages, since as you know,
any incompatibilities with pure-Python packages can't be determined until
install time.  One of my next steps is to create a Maverick VM and install as
much of the Python rdeps as possible, collecting information on what fails to
byte-compile.

Here are the steps you can take if you want to experiment with the Python 2.7
stack on a Maverick system:

    (as sudo):
    add-apt-repository ppa:doko/toolchain
    add-apt-repository ppa:pythoneers/toolchain2.7
    add-apt-repository ppa:pythoneers/py27stack4
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get install python2.7

Please ping me on irc or email if you have any thoughts on the ftbfs in the
py27stack4 PPA.

Cheers,
-Barry

[1] I think the subversion failures are bogus.  I built the package in an
sbuild environment and it succeeded just fine.  The PPA failure looks to me
like a test suite failure where a socket could not be opened.  The PPA build
machines have outgoing networking restrictions and I think this is what we're
hitting.  I'm not positive, but it seems related.  I'm not sure how to work
around that short of disabling those tests in a (temporary) patch.