Re: [Half-OT] Plone and: Re: python 2.6 deb for lenny ?

On 6/24/10 12:58 AM, Fabio Tranchitella wrote:
IMHO, the real mess is Plone itself: it can be a great platform, but it is
a nightmare to deploy and maintain.

I couldn't agree more.

I sent a message to the pkg-zope-developers mailing list yesterday about packaging zope2.12 and plone4.[0] This so far has resulting in the suggestion to use z3c.recipe.debian, which is a buildout recipe for creating a debian package out of a buildout. And as I explained in a followup to that email.[1] A summary of that message: Plone is not a fixed application and therefore packaging a buildout will likely cause me pain in the long run.

I won't use buildout in production *period*. I experimented with using pip to help in building a packaged version of Plone. That failed because of zope.configuration. You can see my thread for further details.[2]

So I'm fairly stuck at this point, but I'm not giving up. I'm going to package plone no matter how many times it kicks me in the head (or at least until brain damage ensues). Any one else feel like joining me? :)

[0] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-zope-developers/2010-July/006426.html [1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-zope-developers/2010-July/006440.html [2] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=4C3C5AA0.2090806%40psu.edu

-Michael Mulich (pumazi)