Re: unused substitution,variable ${python:Versions}

OoO Lors de la soirée naissante du mercredi 14 juillet 2010, vers 17:17,
Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> disait :

>>> That's not a very good choice.
>>
>> Why?

> Because cdbs is an unmaintainable beast of Makefiles. I'm not sure who is
> willing to keep the Python parts in there working. Since we have dh, which is a
> sane piece of code with a sane upstream, most new packages use dh. And I know
> several people who are willing to update dh to work with new Python
> versions/packaging changes if necessary.

cdbs is a  simple piece of software to maintain  a Python package. Until
recently, it was the only option to get a debian/rules as short as this:

#!/usr/bin/make -f
DEB_PYTHON_SYSTEM = pysupport
include /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/debhelper.mk
include /usr/share/cdbs/1/class/python-distutils.mk

I still  prefer cdbs  to dh because  it is  easier to configure  by just
setting variables. I  know that there is some  drawback (see for example
#386970 that is still not solved)  but for simple packages, it just does
its job.

I think that since it is  major piece of Debian (still an "official" way
to build  a package), we  should ensure that  it will work with  the new
policy. I will try to take care of this (and I will look at other python
related bugs currently in BTS).
--
I AM NOT A DENTIST
I AM NOT A DENTIST