Re: How do I know if my package is 'arch-all' or 'arch-any'?

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 11:48 PM, Iustin Pop <iusty@k1024.org> wrote:

> People who are creating/maintaining packages should start by reading the
> general packaging documentation, which explains these.

Python package maintainers do not need to learn all that irrelevant C
stuff they have no idea about. They need minimum required information
explaining how their software should be packaged and why.

>> > HTH!
>> >
>> > PS: debian-mentors is probably the best list for questions, that
>> > are not directly related to Python.
>>
>> You can't say it is not related to Python! And subscribing to yet
>> another mailing list is painful unless it is a Google Group.
>
> With all due respect, these are basic packaging terms that are not
> Python specific at all.

Let's call it "Debian Packaging for Python Developers" and update
definition a bit. I rely on your elaboration from Python side of
things.

arch-all: Debian flag for packages that work on all machines out of
the box and don't require compilation to produce binary packages. All
pure Python modules fall into this category.
Purpose: unknown.

arch-any: Crossplatform Debian Package that requires compilation to
produce binary package. In Python world that usually means the package
contains extension modules, i.e. written in other language, e.g. C.
Why this flag exists and obligatory (isn't it?) is also unknown.

--
anatoly t.