Re: what's keeping python2.6? why is Josselin acting like a deaf man when his packages contain critical bugs?

Hi Jan,

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 19:34, Jan Geboers<hiding.out@gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks for replying.

you're welcome.

> I dont have much time right now to prepare a large piece on this,
> but I wanted to say that I have tried to contact Josselin, both by email and
> debian bug report, but no success so far.

Probably because he has other (more important?) stuff to look at, at
this stage of the release cycle.

But you lacking time can show you that also other people may be in a
period of low free time, so they dedicate their time to what they feel
more important for the release and/or for our users. (and as personal
note, a module to connect to M$ sql server doesn't look like too much
"interesting").

Also note that an RC bug can be fixed with a NMU: if you complain
against something, you should be prepared to pay the price of it :)
Now the package has been injected in the Debian Python  Modules Team:
you are encouraged to join us and fix this bug, and prepare and
accordingly upload.

> I also tried to get in touch with Matthias Klose with regard to the state of
> the python 2.6 package, but no reply came to that either.

That's another story, sorry.

> Even a short statement about the progress would be more than welcome,
> or maybe a call for assistance on the specific parts of work that can be
> done?

We are also waiting for this statement to come.

> But if both the python maintainer and the maintainer of the individual
> package can't be bothered to reply to e-mails or read their bug report that
> is marked critical,
> what more can be done? It's hard to help if you have no clue about where the
> problem or high workload is situated.

I said above: for RC bugs (severity in ('grave', 'serious',
'critical')) provide a well-done NMU and you'll (almost :) ) find a
sponsor to upload it.

> Taking into account Josselin's charming personality I'm quite sure that he
> wouldn't even accept an updated version of said package that I would provide
> to him.

You're again speculating (with another personal attach coming from the
backdoor): you didn't even try to propose a package to him, so how
could you know? Please do something "real" and then complain about
that not being taken into account.

> Personal attacks are not my intention, I hope my point of view isn't
> interpreted as such, I just care about Debian as a whole, and the state of
> python in Debian in particular.

And the best way to achieve this is to actually *help* debian packages
doing packaging work, bug triaging, etc etc.

At this point, I really want to see you involved in what you are
highlight as 2 problems. Else, you are forced to wait for some spare
time to come to the relevant maintainers.

Regards,