Re: what's keeping python2.6? why is Josselin acting like a deaf man when his packages contain critical bugs?

Hello Jan,
I would like to reply politely: sorry if I will not be able to (or the
resulting words don't look like), the intention is this :)

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 11:00, Jan Geboers<hiding.out@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi team python,
>
> I am quite curious to hear what is keeping python2.6 from entering debian
> sid?

I think several people wonder this.

>From a technical point of view, there is some work to do on the
modules to make them compatible with 2.6 new features (for example:
dist-package instead of site-package, /usr/local instead of /usr etc).

This transition is currently running, but it's not yet completed; but
I also think that an upload without adding to support version would
work.

> It's a rock solid release, which has seen many bugfixes, and is the fastest
> python version ever.
> The package in experimental has had only 2 bugreports, both are fixed.

I'm not sure if this ml is the right place to ask: the description on
[1] reports "Discussion of issues related to Python on Debian systems
with a stress on packaging standards. Therefore relevant for
maintainers of Python related packages." so it may or may not be on
topic :)

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-python/

But in any case, you should ask the package maintainer that, as you
can see on [2], is maintained outside a team (that we can ideally
suppose be represented by people actively working on python "stuff")
so its his decision you're looking for and we (honestly) don't know.

[2] http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/python2.6.html

> Please, instead of putting so much effort in turbogears2 and zope and
> whatever, wouldn't it be better to finally upgrade to the latest python
> which
> was released in OCTOBER 2008?

Never write something like this: we are all volunteers, and we are
free to work on whatever we like in our spare time. If you want
something done, then work on it: did you contributed to py2.6
packaging, for example?

Please also note that debian is also used in companies, and they might
need zope package working for money to come to their bank accounts, so
don't speculate.

> Also, a more personal note to that notorious person called Josselin: why
> don't you answer any emails regarding your debian packages?
> Why don't you even respond when I ask for a simple upgrade of the
> python-pymssql package, even after filing a critical bug report about the
> grave bugs that
> make the package unusable? Pymssql 1.0.2 was released over 2 months ago.
> Upgrading the debian package takes about 5 minutes of your time.
> Even if you don't have time to do that, a small reply to an email or to a
> bug report would be more than welcome.

This is a personal attack (against a guy I believe to be very active,
technically skilled, even if something a little bit "rough" ;) ) and I
don't like it at all. If you have complains against him not fixing a
RC bug on that package, reply to the bug itself, so that a public
statement of your "pressure" on the bug is made.

Additionally, you can also help the maintainer, preparing a NMU or a
series of patches to fix what you believe to be wrong, so that you can
alleviate him from some work.

That said, I really hope you now provide an updated package to Joss
for him to check and possibly upload.

Regards,