Re: Migrating unmanaged Python library extension from ‘python-central’ to ‘python-support’

+ Ben Finney (Wed, 15 Apr 2009 20:19:55 +1000):

> * Copy the file from ‘writers/manpage.py’ into ‘usr/lib/$(shell
>   pyversions -d)/site-packages/docutils/writers/.’. If I omit this step,
>   there is no indication that the modules should be in the
>   ‘docutils/writers/’ system library directory.

You’re not qualifying the destination directory. Do you mean
debian/tmp/usr/lib/...? In that case, just use debian/<pkgname>/usr/lib...
instead, and skip the dh_install step.

> * Tell ‘dh_install’ to install
>   ‘usr/lib/python*/site-packages/docutils/writers/’. If I omit this
>   step, ‘dh_pysupport’ ignores the module and it doesn't end up in the
>   package at all.

> * Tell ‘dh_pysupport’ to do its thing.

> I would love to collapse the first two steps somehow, but none of my
> experiments have led to ‘dh_pysupport’ actually finding and installing
> the module to the right place.

See above.

--
- Are you sure we're good?