Re: Migrating unmanaged Python library extension from ‘python-central’ to ‘python-support’

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:

> Le mercredi 15 avril 2009 à 08:01 +1000, Ben Finney a écrit :
> > Because it's double-handling: in the ‘debian/rules’ file I specify
> > copying the modules once, and then in ‘debian/foo.install’ I specify
> > copying them again. I want to copy them to one location that
> > ‘dh_pysupport’ will automatically find them, so I don't have to
> > specify twice where they are.
>
> Why are you installing them twice? dh_install is perfectly capable of
> installing them from the source directory.

Let me try asking the question again, which I think has got lost in the
shuffle:

The original source has as part of its tree ‘writers/manpage.py’. The
only way upstream currently supports installing this module is “copy the
file to the system ‘docutils/writers/’ directory”.

The only way that I know of so far to get ‘dh_pysupport’ to find and
install the module correctly is:

* Copy the file from ‘writers/manpage.py’ into ‘usr/lib/$(shell
  pyversions -d)/site-packages/docutils/writers/.’. If I omit this step,
  there is no indication that the modules should be in the
  ‘docutils/writers/’ system library directory.

* Tell ‘dh_install’ to install
  ‘usr/lib/python*/site-packages/docutils/writers/’. If I omit this
  step, ‘dh_pysupport’ ignores the module and it doesn't end up in the
  package at all.

* Tell ‘dh_pysupport’ to do its thing.

I would love to collapse the first two steps somehow, but none of my
experiments have led to ‘dh_pysupport’ actually finding and installing
the module to the right place.

--
 \         “People's Front To Reunite Gondwanaland: Stop the Laurasian |
  `\              Separatist Movement!” —wiredog, http://kuro5hin.org/ |