Re: Bzr lightweight checkout, bzr shallow branches, and git

* Guy Hulbert [Mon, 02 Mar 2009 12:47:45 -0500]:

> On Mon, 2009-02-03 at 17:37 +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> > As far as I know, Git doesn't have a mechanism to create full-fledged
> > repositories with only part of the history, referencing other remote
> > repositories for missing data. With my Git user hat on, this is clearly
> > a technically inferiority of Git vs Bazaar.

> This was a design decision that Linus made right at the beginning.  In
> his opinion, it makes Git technically superior to Bazaar.  There is a
> google video available where he explains the design.

> Do you have a technical reference for Bazaar ... or even a rebuttal to
> Linus's claims ?

I'm not claiming that Git's design is overall inferior than Bazaar's. In
fact, I quite much like it.

I'm just saying that Bazaar can provide full-fledged branches that don't
physically contain all history data, and Git cannot, and in my view that's
a disadvantage and an inferiority *in that particular point*.

Whether Linus just says that it's not possible to achieve such
functionality with the current Git model, but that such model has enough
other advantages to be worth it, or whether he says that not supporting
that functionality is actually a feature, I don't know, nor something I
recall hearing about back when I watched the Google video.

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore,
if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not
smart enough to debug it.
                -- Brian W. Kernighan