Re: debhelper 7 and python-central

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 10:59:05AM +0000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> writes:

> > > Agreed. Complied-one-time-on-install Python library code is not
> > > "variable state information"; rather, it is an unchanging (modulo
> > > package-system changes) part of the system, so belongs in /usr
> > > somewhere.
> >
> >   pysupport puts a farmlink in /var/lib so that .pyc files that are
> > /var material are in /var/lib.
>
> What makes you think 'foo.pyc' is /var material?

  Oh yes that seems obvious to me. In fact, I'd say it should be
/var/cache material because:
  + it's not mandatory to have it, python works fine without .pyc, just
    (way) slower (which makes it /something/*cache* material per se).
  + it can be regenerated any time when a python version change (so that
    we can gain new optimizations in how bytecode is built e.g.) which
    makes it rather /var material rather than /usr.

> >   Note that the real issue here for real is that python isn't capable of
> > using an alternate shadow path hierarchy to store .pyc files like e.g.
> > fontconfig does. That's why pycentral/pysupport have to do really
> > scabrous things in the first place.
>
> Agreed, and thank you for a wonderful use of the word "scabrous" :-)

  Heh, it's a Gallicism in fact, I mean it was a word to word
translation of a quite current French expression ;)

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit