Re: debhelper 7 and python-central

Hello

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 12:49:11PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le dimanche 18 mai 2008 à 11:35 -0700, Monty Taylor a écrit :
> > 1. What are the real differences between these two?
>
> Technically speaking, they use very different approaches. Python-central
> links modules at their original places while python-support puts them
> in /var/lib to follow the FHS.

This is actually the only reason I use python-central[0].  I'm rather
convinced that python-central follows the FHS better.  From the
horse's mouth:

"/var contains variable data files" [1]

and:

"/var/lib : Variable state information [...] State information is data
that programs modify while they run, and that pertains to one specific
host." [2]

> The latter approach is less fragile overall,

How is that?  As far as I can see both python-central and
python-support maintain directories for each python version and
symlink the .py files to a shared location.  Just on that basis I
can't see why one is better then the other.  Am I missing something
here?

Regards
Floris

[0] I also like the XS-Python-Version and XB-Python-Version fields but
    don't feel strongly about that (and don't fully understand the
    issues at hand there).  And I've never run in any of the bugs.

[1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#THEVARHIERARCHY

[2] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARLIBVARIABLESTATEINFORMATION

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom