Re: debhelper 7 and python-central

Le dimanche 18 mai 2008 à 11:35 -0700, Monty Taylor a écrit :
> 1. What are the real differences between these two?

Technically speaking, they use very different approaches. Python-central
links modules at their original places while python-support puts them
in /var/lib to follow the FHS. The latter approach is less fragile
overall, but for a handful of (IMHO broken) packages it requires a few
changes (like a different path installation, or moving files to a
different directory).

> 2. Why, as a packager, would I choose one over the other?

As the python-support maintainer, I could recommend it because it has
more features, like namespace packages (allowing to split modules coming
from the same directory in non-interdependent packages), Python-Depends
(allowing to express Provides: in a way that doesn’t break when the list
of supported python versions changes), or triggers support (leading to
faster upgrades).

As the maintainer of several python-related packages, I have noticed
recurrent breakage on user systems caused by bugs in python-central, and
I avoid it for this precise reason.

> 3. Is there a valid reason to have both of them be acceptable if they
> both do the same job?

Probably not, but I’m not in the right position to judge.

--
 .''`.