Re: [RFR] urlwatch

Hi,

Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> [Franck Joncourt, 2008-12-13]
>> http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/urlwatch.git;a=summary
>
> looks good (just one question, see below). If you want me to upload
> it, please remove DM-Upload-Allowed for now (feel free to keep it if
> your regular sponsor is ok with uploading it with this flag)

As a matter of fact, the package has been uploaded :)

>> /usr/share/urlwatch/examples/hooks.py.example
>> /usr/share/urlwatch/examples/urls.txt.example
>
> how about installing these in /usr/share/doc/urlwatch/examples ?

You are right, that is a good idea.

[quote=setup.py]
setup(
        name = s.pkgname,
        description = s.__doc__,
        version = s.__version__,
        author = author,
        author_email = author_email,
        url = s.__homepage__,
        scripts = [script],
        package_dir = {'': 'lib'},
        packages = [s.pkgname],
        data_files = [
            # Example files
            (os.path.join('share', package, 'examples'),
                glob.glob(os.path.join('examples', '*'))),
            # Manual page
            (os.path.join('share', 'man', 'man1'),
                ['urlwatch.1']),
        ],
)
[/quote]

Upstream does that when setup.py is installed and I do not see how I
could bypass this without rewriting the setup.py file. The argument
--install-data does not help.

Doing so, I would have to patch urlwatch, as well, since when it is run
for the first time, it copies the example files to the user's home
directory if found in /usr/bin.

[quote=urlwatch]
if bindir == 'bin':
    # Assume we are installed in system
    examples_dir = os.path.join(prefix, 'share', pkgname, 'examples')
[/quote]

What do you think should be the best way to work with the example files?

Maybe update the setup.py file in order not to handle the examples and
the manpage, and work with installdocs, installman instead. Then patch
urlwatch to work with /usr/share/doc/urlwatch when looking for the
example files.

>> The only problem I have by working this way, is I have to patch
>> urlwatch to add /usr/share/urlwatch to the sys.path in order to be
>> able to use ical2txt :)
>
> if you want to avoid patching, you can install urlwatch binary in
> /usr/share/urlwatch directory and then symlink it into
> /usr/bin/urlwatch

--install-script=/usr/share/urlwatch and dh_link should make it I think.

Regards,

--
Franck Joncourt
http://debian.org - http://smhteam.info/wiki/