Re: Proposed update to the python policy

[Pierre Habouzit, 21.03.2007]
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 09:25:52PM +0100, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> > it's useful for Python applications that need specific Python version.
> >
> > f.e. if current Python version is 2.4 and my app. will work only with
> > python2.5 and above, I can Build-depend on python-dev (>= 2.5) | python2.5-dev
> > and set XS-Python-Version: to "current, >=2.5"
> >
> > example packages: emma, pypar2, gaupol, griffith
>
>   could you explain me in which part 'current' is helping you here ? I
> missed to understand what asking for:

I could swear that with this keyword pycentral will set hashbang to
python2.5 (with python2.4 set as default) but apparently it doesn't (I
just tested it with emma), it just sets Depends: to "python (>=2.5) |
python2.5", just like pysupport do with "2.5-" in debian/pyversions
file.

is it a bug in both pycentral and pysupport?

Anyway, if it does not change hashbang then OK, it's deprecated.

> > PS Is it the right time to think about merging python-{central,support}
> > or is it to early for that?
>
>   It's only thinking for now, and I think it's really the moment to
> think about further plans for lenny obviously.

How about a vote about which one should be used in Lenny? I mean, both
systems are doing basically the same thing now. I'm using python-central
in most of my packages (I use python-support in some co-maintained
packages) - I moved to pycentral because pysupport was not handling
Python extensions at the time I needed it. It does handle it now so if
pysupport wins the vote I will be able to easily move to the new default
system.

BTW: I would really love to see pyversions file content moved back to
debian/control file, so that using grep-dctrl would be a lot easier.
--
-=[     Piotr Ozarowski     ]=-
-=[ http://www.ozarowski.pl ]=-