Re: Proposed update to the python policy

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 08:22:32PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> I think it's time to update the python policy with the progress that has
> been made in how we build python packages. The proposed diff is
> attached. In summary it includes:
>       * the deprecation of the "current" keyword;

So with current deprecated, what is the solution for a package which wants
to build a single binary extension for the current python version in a
package named python-foo, with no support for other versions of python
returned by pyversions -s?

>       * making Provides: meaningful in the case of inter-module
>         dependencies, as discussed at Debconf;

Do the helpers implement this, or is this going to be a policy that packages
can't actually comply with?