Re: dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${python:Depends}

Thanks for your suggestions.

> [package contains only files from the debian/ directory]
>
> That's because you're calling "dh_clean -k" [at the start of the
> 'install' rule] which removes what has been installed...

Strange. That's another one placed in debian/rules by 'dh_make'. Under
what circumstances would that be a good thing to do at the start of
the 'install' rule?

> Here's a minimal diff of changes:

> === modified file 'debian/control'
> -Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 5.0.38),
> +Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 5.0.38), docbook-to-man,

Done.

> === modified file 'debian/rules'
>  install: build ${PYVERS:%=install-python%}
>         dh_testdir
>         dh_testroot
> -       dh_clean -k
>         dh_installdirs
>         dh_installinit
>         dh_installpam

I've now moved 'dh_clean -k' to the end of the 'binary' rule.

> There's a bashishm in debian/rules:
> mv debian/${PACKAGE_NAME}/usr/lib/python$*/site-packages/${MODULE_NAME}{-${DEB_UPSTREAM_VERSION}-py$*,}.egg-info

That was my optimisation. Fixed now.

> But there's more to clean in that package. It's arch: all and should
> not be built with all python versions like you're doing. Thus
> there's no need to build-depend on python-all-dev but only
> python-dev, etc.

I admit to being confused between the recipes for building a Python
package for 'arch: any' and 'arch: all'. You're saying I need to make
this change:

    -Build-Depends: python-all-dev
    +Build-Depends: python-dev

What other changes do I need to make for an 'arch: all' Python
package?

--
 \        "When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to |
  `\               ask is if they ever press charges."  -- Jack Handey |