Re: debian/pycompat usage?

Hi,

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006, Floris Bruynooghe wrote:
> AIUI debian/pycompat is not needed anymore currently as dh_python has
> enough by having the XS-Python-Version field, while if you are using
> python-support dh_python is not used at all anymore so it doesn't need
> the debian/pycompat anymore either.
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Also the wiki needs updating to
> reflect this, so if no one corrects me I will do that (unless someone
> beats me to it).

You're right. However there's no point in changing that now, until we have
a proper plan to get rid of dh_python completely and replacing it with
another common infrastructure to generate the ${python:*} substitutions.
I tried to propose one but Matthias Klose didn't respond at all and
Josselin Mouette hasn't given his approval for such a common
infrastructure (even if he agreed on the principle the day when he agreed
to keep dh_python as common thing).

See: http://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2006/08/msg00091.html

> Also, fairly unrelated, since pyversions is part of the python package
> should we build-depend on python?  I found somewhere that
> build-depending on python-all-dev (>= 2.3.5-11) is sufficient to pull
> in pyversions, is that really the appropriate way though?  I would
> prefer to list python directly as dependency instead of indirect.

If you really need python-all-dev, then it's enough, indeed. If you still
want to list explicitely it doesn't hurt.

Raphaël Hertzog