Re: debian/pycompat usage?

Le vendredi 25 août 2006 à 09:41 +0200, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006, Floris Bruynooghe wrote:
> > AIUI debian/pycompat is not needed anymore currently as dh_python has
> > enough by having the XS-Python-Version field, while if you are using
> > python-support dh_python is not used at all anymore so it doesn't need
> > the debian/pycompat anymore either.
> >
> > Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Also the wiki needs updating to
> > reflect this, so if no one corrects me I will do that (unless someone
> > beats me to it).
>
> You're right. However there's no point in changing that now, until we have
> a proper plan to get rid of dh_python completely and replacing it with
> another common infrastructure to generate the ${python:*} substitutions.
> I tried to propose one but Matthias Klose didn't respond at all and
> Josselin Mouette hasn't given his approval for such a common
> infrastructure (even if he agreed on the principle the day when he agreed
> to keep dh_python as common thing).

I will not use the common infrastructure until it gets seriously fixed.

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 11709 2006-08-10 13:30 /usr/bin/dh_pysupport
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 24020 2006-07-10 14:14 /usr/bin/dh_python

This means twice as much code without handling all cases dh_pysupport
currently handles (including compatibility with the "old" dh_python).

Currently, with a relatively small amount of work, we could completely
replace dh_python with dh_pysupport without breaking compatibility for
older packages, and I believe this would be the sanest approach. However
Joey Hess doesn't want this to happen as long as python-central exists,
and I fear that Matthias Klose will refuse anything that would bring us
out of this horrible "new policy" mess (despite the proof that 80% of
this "policy" thing is nothing but useless complication for package
maintainers).