Re: Coordinated effort to update python packages

Mike Hommey writes:
> On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 09:55:08PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> > When you install some python extensions (.so), it is common that they come with
> > associated .py files (modules). Those .py files usually are the same in
> > /usr/lib/python2.3 and /usr/lib/python2.4, that's why python-central will
> > keep only one copy of them in /usr/share/pycentral and symlink them back into
> > /usr/lib/python2.[34]/ ...
> >
> > However if the .py installed in /usr/lib/python2.3 is different from the
> > one installed in /usr/lib/python2.4, then you can't share it between both
> > versions (and you need the DH_PYCENTRAL="nomove" variable). That what's I
> > meant. Feel free to fix the wording in the wiki if you have a better way
> > to express it.
>
> Okay, it sounds clearer said like that. Stupid question: why doesn't
> pycentral autodetect if files are different or not ? I don't actually
> see a reason why DH_PYCENTRAL need to be set...

python-tk and python-gdbm include the -tk and -gdbm versions from both
python2.3 and 2.4, so that we are able to ship them in one package.
In that case, these must be installed in /usr/lib/python. Just moving
the identical files becomes a bit complex; it is handled by pycentral,
but not by dh_pycentral, so you have to move them yourself.

  Matthias