Re: Coordinated effort to update python packages

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 08:38:57PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the Python team has agreed on a new policy [1]. As we want to do the
> python 2.4 transition now, we need to make sure the packages match the
> policy. This will limit the amount of broken packages when python2.4 will
> become the default and will smooth this transition.
>
> So please check in the list at the end of this mail if you're concerned,
> and if yes, please update your packages following these instructions:
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPython/NewPolicy
> http://people.debian.org/~piman/python-policy/

Maybe I'm dumb or something, but I don't get what
"If the public modules installed differ between python versions and if
they can't be shared, you should set the following environment variable
when invoking dh_pycentral."
is supposed to mean.

Please Cc: me, I'm not subscribed.

Mike

PS: Anyways, there's one package you didn't list because it's in NEW,
which WON'T be merged as required by the new policy: python2.x-xpcom,
provided by xulrunner.
The reason is simple: different installations for different python
versions CAN'T coexist without breaking each other.

PPS: I'll take care of libxml2 and libxslt as soon as I understand what
I'm supposed to change.