Re: Coordinated effort to update python packages

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Mike Hommey wrote:
> > So please check in the list at the end of this mail if you're concerned,
> > and if yes, please update your packages following these instructions:
> > http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPython/NewPolicy
> > http://people.debian.org/~piman/python-policy/
>
> Maybe I'm dumb or something, but I don't get what
> "If the public modules installed differ between python versions and if
> they can't be shared, you should set the following environment variable
> when invoking dh_pycentral."
> is supposed to mean.

When you install some python extensions (.so), it is common that they come with
associated .py files (modules). Those .py files usually are the same in
/usr/lib/python2.3 and /usr/lib/python2.4, that's why python-central will
keep only one copy of them in /usr/share/pycentral and symlink them back into
/usr/lib/python2.[34]/ ...

However if the .py installed in /usr/lib/python2.3 is different from the
one installed in /usr/lib/python2.4, then you can't share it between both
versions (and you need the DH_PYCENTRAL="nomove" variable). That what's I
meant. Feel free to fix the wording in the wiki if you have a better way
to express it.

> PS: Anyways, there's one package you didn't list because it's in NEW,
> which WON'T be merged as required by the new policy: python2.x-xpcom,
> provided by xulrunner.
> The reason is simple: different installations for different python
> versions CAN'T coexist without breaking each other.

OK, then indicate "current" in XS-Python-Version and support only the
current version in python-xpcom (make sure to generate the provides
field).

> PPS: I'll take care of libxml2 and libxslt as soon as I understand what
> I'm supposed to change.

Feel free to ask other questions if needed.

Raphaël Hertzog