Re: Coordinated effort to update python packages

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 at 16:10:48 -0500, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 22:05 +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
> > What about people who want to use pyxpcom with modules that aren't
> > available with the current python ?
>
> But a user couldn't install more than one such module at a time, since
> the packages are mutually exclusive. It seems far better to me to just
> force everyone to use one version and avoid the issue.
>
> Or, fix pyxpcom, which sounds horribly broken.

It's not broken, actually. There are 2 different things in pyxpcom:
- a python binding to load and use xpcom components
- an xpcom component to load and use python written components (pyloader).

The problem is that if you launch the python binding, it will also load
the pyloader component. If this component doesn't use the same python
version as the binding you're using, you're pretty much fscked.

Maybe there would be a way not to load the pyloader component if loaded
from an incompatible python version...

Mike

PS: Please CC me, I'm not subscribed