Re: Deprecating /usr/lib/site-python in python policy

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 09:20:13AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> /usr/lib/site-python is on the sys.path of all python versions so we must
> make sure to provide the best (ie .py with working .pyc) for all python
> versions.

Why "must"?

Has this for some reason become a problem just recently or has this always
been a problem? I do not think missing or invalid .pyc's there could cause
noticable performance problems (especially since it is at the end of the
search path or at least near it) and certainly the modules are importable
from multiple python versions already.

As a user I am greatful for all the people making an effort to improve
Debian Python, but I am beginning to worry if you people are taking too many
steps at once this close to the freeze.