Re: Deprecating /usr/lib/site-python in python policy

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 17:08 +0300, Juha-Matti Tapio wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 09:20:13AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > /usr/lib/site-python is on the sys.path of all python versions so we must
> > make sure to provide the best (ie .py with working .pyc) for all python
> > versions.
>
> Why "must"?
>
> Has this for some reason become a problem just recently or has this always
> been a problem? I do not think missing or invalid .pyc's there could cause
> noticable performance problems (especially since it is at the end of the
> search path or at least near it) and certainly the modules are importable
> from multiple python versions already.
>
> As a user I am greatful for all the people making an effort to improve
> Debian Python, but I am beginning to worry if you people are taking too many
> steps at once this close to the freeze.

Only a dozen or so packages bother with /usr/lib/site-python, and almost
all of them are buggy for placing unstable APIs in a public module
directory anyway. Note that it's *not* being removed from sys.path
(yet), it's just being deprecated. We deprecated /usr/doc with far more
than a dozen packages still using it.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>