Re: New python maintenance team

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 07:11:31PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog writes:

> > > Even though you may think you are not experienced enough, it seems you
> > > just stepped forward and volunteered to lead this team. ;) I think
> > > initiative is more important than knowing the ins and outs of Python.

> > I do hope Matthias could lead such a team. He responded to my mail this
> > morning. He didn't take a clear position about the team but he indicated
> > that he would come with a proposal this week-end (and that he would also
> > upload python2.5 in experimental).

> > He would like to tie this transition with the new infrastructure for
> > handling python modules.

> [just realized that my mail did go to Raphael only, not intended]

> Raphael, thanks for your interest. It's true that I did not respond to
> emails ignoring our discussions from January and February on this very
> list.  It would be nice to build on these discussions for the
> transition.  Any news from your side?  I think I did make it clear,
> that we should get away from the transition system for all kind of
> packages and implemented that (but side-tracked by other work in the
> last month).  Please expect an update from this at this weekend.

I think everyone is agreed that we want greater automization of python
transitions, but the longer this is postponed, the more problematic this
becomes for etch.  It's my impression that there is enough untapped manpower
available to work on starting this transition the old, hard way that it's
not to our advantage to continue postponing it due to the promise of better
methods -- when those methods will still require sourceful uploads for the
first round of implementation anyway.

I think it's now been about a month since I suggested that we should focus
on implementing the python infrastructure in a piece-wise manner in order to
get this transition moving along; and still there's been no visible progress
in that time, which makes that another month we could've used to start on
this the hard way. :/  It would certainly be easier to do the transition
using the new infrastructure, but that still blocks on having that
infrastructure in place.