Re: Python policy proposed changes

Le lundi 10 octobre 2005 à 17:14 +0100, Donovan Baarda a écrit :
> The best person to decide what packages need to support which old
> versions of python are the package maintainers. They know this based on
> the requests and bug reports from the people that need them. It is up to
> them to balence the hassle of packaging them against the hassle of
> dealing with complaints.

You are right, that's up to the maintainer.

> By recommending "2.2.1 Support Only The Default Version", we are
> recommending no legacy support. It would be interesting to see just how
> many packages end up providing legacy support anyway after a period of
> time. I have a feeling Zope and Mailman dependencies will end up
> defining the extent of legacy support.

I'm afraid not many maintainers would switch from their current way of
doing things without strong incitation. That's why I think we should at
least mention that you shouldn't support non-default python versions
unless there's a good reason (whatever it is) to do so. And we should
enforce that for those gazillions of small python modules with few or
none reverse dependencies during the transition.