Re: Python policy proposed changes

Le lundi 10 octobre 2005 à 17:01 +0100, Donovan Baarda a écrit :
> In 2.2.2, I would remove the "only" from "only supports python versions
> different from the currrent default one"... You can use this for
> packages that support the current default one as well as other versions.

The next section deals about such a scheme.

> In 2.2.3, part 1. I would recommend (mandate?) that the python-foo dummy
> wrapper package should have it's own tiny source package, seperate from
> the pythonX.Y-foo source package. This way, only the small python-foo
> wrapper package needs to be updated and re-built when the default python
> changes.

I think the ftp-masters and/or release would object to having so many
more source packages to deal with; I've heard it would cause problems
when we went up with this kind of idea for GNOME metapackages.

> For 2.2.3 part 2, I don't know what to do... there has been no progress
> in making this work for a long time, and I don't know if there ever will
> be. It's probably still worth documenting as a wish list, but I can't
> help but think it's overly complicated somehow.

I agree, maybe we should remove documentation about things not working.

> Another alternative for 2.2.3 part 2 is the practice adopted by some
> pure-python packages of putting modules in /usr/lib/site-python, which
> can be found on the default sys.path of all versions of python. The
> ugliness of this is the pyc's get recompiled for different versions of
> python, and will be re-written if the user has write access there. For
> all it's drawbacks, it is a much lighter alternative to the mass of
> symlinks approach...

I wouldn't recommend this method, because of that possible .pyc
autogeneration and the stale files it leaves in the filesystem.