Re: Python policy proposed changes

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 20:29, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lundi 10 octobre 2005 à 17:14 +0100, Donovan Baarda a écrit :
> > The best person to decide what packages need to support which old
> > versions of python are the package maintainers. They know this based on
> > the requests and bug reports from the people that need them. It is up to
> > them to balence the hassle of packaging them against the hassle of
> > dealing with complaints.
>
> You are right, that's up to the maintainer.

BTW, at a large search engine company where I now work, it has proven
useful that Ubuntu still has legacy Python packages for v2.1 through
v2.4. If it didn't, we would be forced to build/support our own (which
we may yet need to do).

So even if Debian chooses not to support legacy versions of Python,
please keep a framework that makes it easy to add extra packages to
support it :-)

--
Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au>