Re: Python policy proposed changes

On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 13:36, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le dimanche 09 octobre 2005 à 14:30 +0200, Matthias Klose a écrit :
[...]
> > I don't like the idea that maintainers of depending
> > applications have to "fight" with maintainers of library packages,
> > which versions they should provide.
>
> Maybe we could make it easier; for example only modules with more than
> $threshold (say 5) depending applications should provide several
> versions, while less widely used modules shouldn't.

I think it is up to the package maintainers... fights are how you
convice package maintainers to support older versions :-)

The best person to decide what packages need to support which old
versions of python are the package maintainers. They know this based on
the requests and bug reports from the people that need them. It is up to
them to balence the hassle of packaging them against the hassle of
dealing with complaints.

You could institute some degree of manditory legacy support, but exactly
what the degree is would be kind of hard to pin down.

By recommending "2.2.1 Support Only The Default Version", we are
recommending no legacy support. It would be interesting to see just how
many packages end up providing legacy support anyway after a period of
time. I have a feeling Zope and Mailman dependencies will end up
defining the extent of legacy support.

--
Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au>