Re: Summary of python transition problems

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 02:28:52PM +0200, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Hi, Colin Watson wrote:
>
> > Incidentally, I think that python2.3 should definitely depend on python,
> > even if unversioned. This is what python2.2 in testing does, and it
> > would avoid the "I installed python2.3 but my programs that use
> > /usr/bin/python still don't work!" FAQ.
>
> So include a "Recommends: python" control line. As per policy, section
> 7.2, that would be strong enough for this situation. ("The Recommends
> field should list packages that would be found together with this one in
> all but unusual installations.")

Yeah, the "Recomends" would be much better than a "Depends".

There are several problems with having python2.3 with "Depends:
python (>2.3)".

The first problem is it is not true; there is no reason why python2.3
shouldn't work with python (2.1), or even without any python package
at all. This is what is causing unnecisary conflicts between mixed
testing/unstable systems.

The second problem is is when we get python (2.4), a new python2.3
package will need to be released just to fix the dependencies. The
Python Policy was designed so that no pythonX.Y(-foo) packages would
need to be updated when python (X.Y+1) is released.

Having the python policy more visible would probably do more to answer
FAQ's than having busted dependencies on packages :-)

Donovan Baarda                http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/