Re: Summary of python transition problems

Donovan Baarda writes:
> On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 02:28:52PM +0200, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> > Hi, Colin Watson wrote:
> >
> > > Incidentally, I think that python2.3 should definitely depend on python,
> > > even if unversioned. This is what python2.2 in testing does, and it
> > > would avoid the "I installed python2.3 but my programs that use
> > > /usr/bin/python still don't work!" FAQ.
> >
> > So include a "Recommends: python" control line. As per policy, section
> > 7.2, that would be strong enough for this situation. ("The Recommends
> > field should list packages that would be found together with this one in
> > all but unusual installations.")
>
> Yeah, the "Recomends" would be much better than a "Depends".

will be changed, after 2.3 enters testing.

> The second problem is is when we get python (2.4), a new python2.3
> package will need to be released just to fix the dependencies. The
> Python Policy was designed so that no pythonX.Y(-foo) packages would
> need to be updated when python (X.Y+1) is released.

not true. the 2.3 upload is needed for not building the unversioned
python packages.

> Having the python policy more visible would probably do more to answer
> FAQ's than having busted dependencies on packages :-)

/usr/share/doc/python should be prominent enough. I will not formally
submit the python policy before the sarge release, we'll have plenty
of time after the sarge release ...

	Matthias