Re: Duplicate debconf templates in zope-* packages

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis wrote:

> [ also forwarding to zope packagers list ]
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 12:14:27AM +0100, Denis Barbier wrote:
> > it looks like the solution proposed by Luca in
> >   http://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2002/debian-python-200211/msg00025.html
> > has never been implemented, most (if not all?) Zope packages still ship
> > their own templates files.
> >
> > The right solution is trivial: throw your config and templates files
> > away (unless they contain something different from dealing with Zope
> > restart), as well as debian/po directory if it does exist, bump
> > versioned dependency on zope if needed (the shared/zope/restart question
> > was finalized in 2.5.1-2.7 according to its changelog) and get a recent
> > postinst file, e.g. zope-cmfcore.postinst.
> > And that's all!
> I indeed proposed that solution, but as far as i can read from
> debconf-devel(7):
>
> SHARED TEMPLATES
>        It's actually possible to have a template and a question that are
>        shared  among  a set  of  packages.  All the packages have to provide
>        an identical copy of the tem- plate in their templates files. This can
>        be useful if a bunch of packages need  to ask  the  same question, and
>        you only want to bother the user with it once. Shared templates are
>        generally put in the shared/ pseudo-directory in  the debconf  tem-
>        plate namespace.
>
> All zope packages should provide the same template. .config files are useless
> though.
Hmmm, are you sure that this paragraph in the manual makes sense????
I guess if a zope package depends from zope all relevant debconf information
is available and copying the same stuff over and over makes no sense at all
except from enhancing the probability of errors.

Kind regards

            Andreas.