Re: Duplicate debconf templates in zope-* packages

[ also forwarding to zope packagers list ]
On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 12:14:27AM +0100, Denis Barbier wrote:
> it looks like the solution proposed by Luca in
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2002/debian-python-200211/msg00025.html
> has never been implemented, most (if not all?) Zope packages still ship
> their own templates files.
>
> The right solution is trivial: throw your config and templates files
> away (unless they contain something different from dealing with Zope
> restart), as well as debian/po directory if it does exist, bump
> versioned dependency on zope if needed (the shared/zope/restart question
> was finalized in 2.5.1-2.7 according to its changelog) and get a recent
> postinst file, e.g. zope-cmfcore.postinst.
> And that's all!

I indeed proposed that solution, but as far as i can read from
debconf-devel(7):

SHARED TEMPLATES
       It's actually possible to have a template and a question that are
       shared  among  a set  of  packages.  All the packages have to provide
       an identical copy of the tem- plate in their templates files. This can
       be useful if a bunch of packages need  to ask  the  same question, and
       you only want to bother the user with it once. Shared templates are
       generally put in the shared/ pseudo-directory in  the debconf  tem-
       plate namespace.

All zope packages should provide the same template. .config files are useless
though.

> An alternative is to move templates to zopectl so that they can be
> updated more easily, but I have no idea whether this does make sense.

I good improvement would have been to create dh_zope command (as part of a
zope-dev) package, which would have been responsible of installing/updating
those files (like code snippets). I meant zopectl for other purpose.

I'm still too busy dealing with zopectl wich has an higer priority in my TODO
list: i would share my thoughts about dh_zope with any volunteer.

ciao,
--
Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis              | Elegant or ugly code as well
aliases: Luca ^De [A-Z][A-Za-z\-]*[iy]'\?s$ | as fine or rude sentences have