Re: python 2.2 to python 2.3 transition

On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 02:58:21PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Donovan Baarda writes:
> > Does anyone want me to contibute some code to try and do this? I think
> > the "python-central" stuff has most of the code to handle this, it just
> > needs a little bit of tweaking.
>
> sure, that would be nice ... I sent some comments on python-central,
> but never got a response.

I thought I responded?

In any case, python-central was not a complete solution... it did not
support applications with their own python modules in their own
locations. It required a bit of work to extend to support these cases.

It was also possibly overly ambitious and complex. It eabled packages
to support multiple versions of python at once by sym-linking from
/usr/lib/python/site-packages into each supported /usr/lib/pythonX.Y.
This allowed for different compiled .pyc's for each supported version.

The recently suggested alternative of putting modules in
/usr/lib/site-python (or wherever) with only one set of *.pyc's for
the default python is much simpler. It does rely on "root" only using
the default python to avoid re-compiling pyc's with something else,
and there is not (yet) a way to re-compile the pyc's when the default
python upgrades.

Donovan Baarda                http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/