Re: python 2.2 to python 2.3 transition

This seems to be a common misunderstanding. Therefore the CC to
debian-python that I have something as a reference.

Lars Wirzenius writes:
> On la, 2003-08-09 at 03:22, Matthias Klose wrote:
> > Please upgrade your packages soon, or ask on debian-python for NMU's or help.
> > If the package doesn't work with 2.3, please explicitely depend on the 2.2
> > packages.
>
> Package: enemies-of-carlotta
> Depends: python (>= 2.1), procmail
>
> As far as I know, it already works with Python 2.3. And 2.2. And 2.1. I
> like the fact that the same package works fine both on woody and in
> unstable. :)

No. The package ships compiled python modules. These are maybe
compiled with 2.1 or 2.2. If a user other than root uses these
modules, python2.3 detects them as invalid and compiles them on the
fly each time the module is used.

So you have to rebuild the .pyc files with python2.3, either by the
postinst/prerm scripts (dh_python), or by shipping the .pyc files. The
former one is the preferred way described in the python policy. See
/usr/share/doc/python/python-policy.txt.gz

Please wait a bit with the upload, if distutils are used for the
packaging. There's something broken with file stamps in glibc-2.3.2.

	Matthias