Re: bug reports preventing the python transition

Hi.

Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 01:54:00PM +0200, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
>>Upstream is dead since >1 year, too, and still advertises the thing as
>>incompatible with recent zope. IIRC, there have been 0 CVS commits on SF for a
>>year and 1 post on the mailing list. (Even though it's unfortunate because I
>>liked the idea.)

> I've sent a mail to both the maintainer and the developer list: let's wait
> one or two weeks.
Oh. That'll be 2 mails July-December 2001, in 1 mail in 2002 and one (yours) in
2003. The ones after (the first week of) July 2001 are all about WP not running
with zope>=2.2 and are unanswered. So I'll increase to dead since July, 8th
2001. (And the message from July 7th is the answer "are you dreaming" to a
request for a translation.) It has to be added to these statistics that
development wasn't exactly responsive. (I.e. I remember that there was a long
period of time before worldpilot.org was set up when there was no support. The
time when it flourished was rather short.)

> To fix 122653 we simply need someone to build and upload it again: the real
> problem is the incompatibility with zope 2.6.1. They state[1] the have release
> a 1.1.0-alpha4 which is wrks with 2.6.1: that's a point to wait for their
> reply.
I didn't find your reference, but worldpilot.org talks about 2.1.6 not 2.6.1.

> I suggest to wait for the other bugs to be closed, then we see if something
> happened for worldpilot: if it will still prevent python transition we may ask
> for its removal.
I'd happily adopt it if there was any hope. My point is that there isn't.
WorldPilot is an unfinished, unmaintained product that once had potential. I
don't think it provides any value to Debian, on the contrary, it contributes to
the erosion of the average quality of software packaged by debian. The day it's
gone, debian will be a bit better. (I did use worldpilot, did some fixes, but
didn't even know where to send them before I abandoned wp.)

For some reason zope webmail products don't seem to last very long. If there's
need for a replacement, I could ITP the nuxeo groupware suite. They seem to have
incorporated the (french) WebMail product. The license needs some investigating
(5*GPL, 2*something in LICENSE.txt) , but that is IMO the only zope webmail
amongst those I now that has any chance.

Cheers

T.