Re: Status report on python2 transition

Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> Binary extension modules depend on the version of Python that they were
> compiled against (a different micro version should be ok, AFAIK).

That's right.  Maybe I don't understand the mess we are in now.  Can you
explain exactly what it is?

As I understand it, we want to upgrade python-base to 2.1.1.  All
packages that contain third party extension modules, such as
python-mxdatetime, will need to be recompiled for 2.1.1.

What I don't understand is what problems a versioned python-base package
will solve.  I don't think its going the meet the needs of hardcore
Python developers.  For those people compiling the source is not a big
deal.  I think its going to confuse the average Debian user.  All the
Debian Perl packages sure confuse me.  I think its also going to cause
more work for the Debian maintainers.

  Neil