Re: Status report on python2 transition

Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> Sorry ? What problems do you have installing Python 2.1 in /usr/local on
> a Debian system ?

Sometimes /usr/local/bin/python is used instead of /usr/bin/python.  For
example, dput uses "#!/usr/bin/env python".  Also, its postinst script it
does:

    python -c 'from compileall import main;main()' -q $DIR

which fails if a stock distribution of compileall is used (it doesn't
support -q).  I've seen other packages do this as well.

> That's our current setup (well-behaved packages should have a dependency
> on "python-base >= 1.5, python-base << 1.6"). Look at the mess we're now
> running into, now that we want to upgrade this to Python 2.1.1. All
> packages have to be recompiled at once.

What's a "well-behaved package"?  Extension modules depend on the
version of Python that they were compiled against.  If you upgrade the
interpreter you must upgrade the extensions.  How are you planning on
avoiding this?

  Neil